Thursday, 6 February 2014

Changes

It has recently occurred to me that I have now been blogging for nearly seven years.  Seven years! In that time my life has changed almost beyond recognition.

Back in May 2007, when I wrote my first blog post, we had been living in our original red house in Melbourne for over eight years. I thought we would live there forever.  My four children ranged in age from 4 to 13 and I was a full-time, stay-at-home mum, although I did do small amounts of paid work here and there.

Moving forward seven years and we have lived in Adelaide for five and a half years. The kids are now 19, 17, 15 and 10.  One is at university, two are at high school and the youngest has recently entered the fifth grade.

Not long after we moved to Adelaide, I started working 4 days a week, an enormous change on top of the even bigger change of moving interstate with four school-aged children.  This year, life will change again as I will be studying full-time (although thankfully, I am also reducing my work hours).

In seven years I have changed in many ways, yet the important things remain the same.  I love my family and its health and happiness is my first priority.  Food, home and garden are still at the centre of my being.

With my daughter, sister-in-law and niece in Sydney, December 2013

6 comments:

Kez said...

You inspired me to see how long I've been blogging - this year in May will be 8 years! I had an almost 4 yo then, he'll be 12 later this year. 2007-2010 were my prolific years - averaging 3-4 posts / week. Then it started to go downhill. Last year I averaged 2/month. So far I've posted once this year! Bad Facebook...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Our Red House said...

Hi Kez,

I was most prolific in 2007 and 2008. Last year I think there were two 3-month periods when I didn't post at all. Bad me!

Tracy said...

I must have found your blog not long after you started. I have been blogging since 2008...just a little after you. Back when I was also a SAHM and my youngest was just 7 and oh so cute. How everyone here is bigger than me and will have our first school graduate this year.

What will you be studying??

Our Red House said...

Hi Tracy,
I'm doing a Masters degree in Food Studies at Adelaide Uni.
K

Tracy said...

If I wasn't doing a teaching degree something to do with food would be my next interest I think. I reckon that course will be a great fit for you. I look forward to hearing how you go with it.

Kimmie said...

It is amazing how much has changed, but glad you have stuck the course with sharing it with us.

Kimmie