Monday, 13 January 2014

Greek Yogurt with Brown Sugar and Almonds


A popular breakfast treat at my favourite cafe is a glass of Greek yogurt sweetened with brown sugar and topped with chopped nuts.

The combination of flavours and textures is irresistible: crunchy nuts; tart, creamy yogurt; and sweet brown sugar at the top and bottom of the glass that, after a few hours in the fridge, becomes a caramel syrup to be stirred through the yogurt.

As there are only three ingredients and no cooking is required, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare.  For variety, you could substitute honey for the brown sugar and use other nuts, such as pistachios or hazelnuts, to replace the almonds.  For a middle-eastern touch, you could add a little rosewater or orange flower water to the yogurt.


Greek Yogurt with Brown Sugar and Almonds (makes 5 serves)

1 L unsweetened Greek-style yogurt
brown sugar
raw almonds, chopped roughly
5 glasses (around 1 cup/250 ml capacity)

Put a heaped teaspoon of brown sugar at the bottom of each glass.  Spoon in yogurt until close to the top of each glass.  Top with more brown sugar and scatter with chopped almonds.  Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Wow, this sounds yummy. I must try it!

Joolz said...

Yes, yummy and a fraction of the cost I bet it costs at the cafe. Thanks for the idea.

Our Red House said...

Hi Joolz,

They are $5.00 each at the cafe and I made all five for about that price - a definite saving.

Kate

Kirstin said...

Oh! Now that sounds good! I'll have to try it. I was browsing through old blog posts of mine and came across a comment from you and thought "oh my goodness, I haven't visited her blog in awhile". so, now I'm browsing :)